Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 17:13:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sly <SLY@AOL.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't install 3.1 in 8 MB (was: 3.1-Release Install Hangs - ARRGH!)

On Saturday,  1 May 1999 at  2:35:58 -0500, Sly wrote:
> Ok I have been trying for a week to get my FBSD box up and running
> again.  I decided to upgrade (complete reinstall) from a 2.2.? version.
> The process always hangs or freezes when it gets to the point where it
> is "extracting bin into / directory..."  It doesn't appear to have any
> issues with detecting hardware and the like...after all an eralier
> release was running fine on this box.  I've tried the install via ftp
> over my home lan and I've also dug a HD out of my *cough* win95 box to
> try an install off a dos partition.  It always hangs during the
> extraction process.  Sometimes sysinstall was able to get half way
> through and other times it only got the first bin.inf file before it
> hung.  When I did the dos partition install it didn't appear to get any
> files.  I am unable to get any response from a ctrl-c or the like after
> it hangs.  I've done a bunch of reading on deja and the mailing list
> archives to try to find a solution, but didn't have any luck.  I've
> found other folks talking about a similar problem but none of the
> discussion led to a solution for me.  There has even been a bug report
> of a similar issue.  The box I'm installing to is an old 386 with 8mb.
>
> Any help will be apreciated.

Hmm.  We seem to have trouble with 8 MB memories.  It should work, but
there's ample evidence that it doesn't.  I'd suggest that you wait
until 3.3 (3.2 is just around the corner, and I'm pretty sure it won't
get fixed before then).

> (BTW, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list so please reply directly to
> me)

You'd be better off subscribing.  This has been discussed several
times, and you could have saved yourself a week's work.

Greg