Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:16:23 +0200
From:      "Eugene van Zyl" <eugene@streetcar.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD installation question - partitioning

Hi,

I've got a hard drive with 2 primary partitions (for booting OS's), and =
one big extended partition (type 15 I think) with a logical partition =
for sharinf data between OS's.
Being familiar with Linux, I thought I'd do the normal /boot partition =
below cylinder(?) 1024 and then the /,/var and /usr partitions in the =
extented partition, for FreeBSD.
e.g.
- NTFS: C:
- FreeBSD: /boot
- Extended Partition
-- FreeBSD /
-- FreeBSD Swap
-- FreeBSD /var
-- FreeBSD /usr
-- NTFS D:

Only problem being that the FreeBSD fdisk and labeling program doesn't =
see the logical partitions inside the extended partition! I've already =
got a lot of data on the D: partition, so losing the extended partition =
is not really an appetising solution.
Is the above config possible with FreeBSD or am I stuck?

Thanks,
Eugene van Zyl
eugene@streetcar.com
Streetcar Web Commerce (Pty) Ltd