Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 15:36:33 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        current@FREEBSD.org
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

<<On Mon, 7 Aug 95 13:18:26 MDT, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:

> I can think of one simple and obvious fix, but it fails with SO_REUSEADDR
> and/or SO_REUSEPORT.

> On a reused port, are incoming packets treated as multicast (that is
> routed to each of the listeners)?

When SO_REUSEADDR or SO_REUSEPORT is in effect (or even when not, for
that matter), packets are routed to the socket whose binding most
specifically matches the socket.  Multiple identical active bindings
are only permitted for broadcast and multicast local addresses.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.