Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:26:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing FreeBSD

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> 1.  You mention a disk light being on.  This could be a clue, but I've
>     noticed that happening a number of times when disk access wasn't
>     the problem, so we should defer that until we have to look at it.

Ok.  Deferred.

> 2.  You have a 100 BaseT network.  What kind of board?  Could be that
>     there are problems with the driver.  Could be that they're coupled
>     with problems with the net (bad cable, for example).

I'm going to guess that it's a 3Com, because that's what's in all of our
other PCs, but I will have to get a definitive answer on it and let you
know.  I will also replace the cable just in case.

> 3.  You say the system slows down over a period of time.  Is this the
>     case from the console as well?  Maybe you can recognize some kind
>     of unusual circumstance, like excessive retransmits or such.  I
>     can't tell you where to look here, just how to go about looking
>     for it.

Yes, it is as slow at the console as it is over the network.  I'im not
sure how to look for excessive retransmits, or the like.  It's beyond my
experience, but I'd be delighted to try, if you could tell me how.

> 4.  You should consider building a debug kernel with the kernel
>     debugger.  You can strip the kernel before booting, but you need
>     the debug version (about 10 MB) for dump analysis.  Take a look at
>     the online handbook for more details.  That way we at least have
>     an idea of what has gone wrong.

How long (projected) before 2.2.6 is stable enough to upgrade to?  Is this
something I should do straight away, or just wait till we're going to go
to 2.2.6 and include the debugging in the new kernel I build then?

Thanks,

Danny