Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2016 09:35:13 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>, Lou Katz <pi@metron.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Root on USB stick

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
>> Sorry top post only on my phone and I'm trying to remember from a year a=
go without my notes...

>> Isn't rootfs something that we can pass through u-boot variables?=E2=80=
=8E I'm sure I've done it but I can't remember how...

> Okay, that was the ftd file, sorry. :(
>

>> I also seem to remember that if ubldr can't find the rootfs it prompts f=
or you to enter something manually=E2=80=8E, which might be good enough for=
 development purposes? Or am I imagining that? I remember the prompt, but n=
ot what process launched it.

> Also wrong, The prompt I am thinking of is loader looking for the
> kernel: from loader(8)
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D=
0&manpath=3DFreeBSD+10.3-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=3Ddefault&format=3Dhtml

>     load [-t type] file ...
>     Loads a kernel, kernel loadable module (kld), disk image, or file
>     of opaque contents tagged as being of the type type.  Kernel and
>     modules can be either in a.out or ELF format.  Any arguments
>     passed after the name of the file to be loaded will be passed as
>     arguments to that file.  Use the md_image type to make the kernel
>     create a file-backed md(4) disk.  This is useful for booting from
>     a temporary rootfs.  Currently, argument passing does not work
>     for the kernel.
>

> *Note that man says we cannot pass arguments to the kernel.

***Sorry, accidentally sent without being complete:

 I would say your best bet is to use crochet and create a new image
and tweek the kernel conf file manually.

Crochet is here:

https://github.com/freebsd/crochet

and supports RPi2, though I've never used it.

The kernel conf file is

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/conf/RPI2?view=3Dmarkup

and the line to tweek is:

 options ROOTDEVNAME=3D\"ufs:mmcsd0s2\"