Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:50:28 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        stefan parvu <stefan.parvu@comptel.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 on 3.2 STABLE ?

stefan parvu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Last night I worked to port some code to FreeBSD 3.2 Stable.
> I was curious about one fact: on <netinet/in.h> there is no any in6_addr
> support for IPv6. Am I wrong ? FreeBSD does not support IPv6 ?

Sure it does. It just doesn't come out of the box with it because
there were too many choices. There were three IPv6 stacks with
FreeBSD versions, and the core team decided to wait until one of
these stacks came out the "winner" before committing it to the tree.
It should be clear that committing to any one too soon would
stagnate FreeBSD development for the others.

Meanwhile, anyone could just grab the source for any of these stacks
and install it.

Alas, they finally decided to join their efforts, which goes to show
that the core team decision was on the mark. It's my impression that
we'll have IPv6 stack on -stable for the next release.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Thus, over the years my wife and I have physically diverged. While
I have zoomed toward a crusty middle-age, she has instead clung
doggedly to the sweet bloom of youth. Naturally I think this unfair.
Yet, if it was the other way around, I confess I wouldn't be happy
either."