Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:37:31 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick survey of XIM and JDK on FreeBSD

Goto-san wrote:

> Title:  Quick survey of XIM and JDK on FreeBSD
> [...]
>   [FreeBSD JDK131 with open-motif-devel]
>     xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion
>                  Xlib: sequence lost (0x1044b > 0x44d) in reply type 0x=
12!)
>     kinput2: OK
>     vje:     OK
>
> I used linux_base-6.1(/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base) and
> ja-linux_locale-18.0_1(/usr/ports/japanese/linux_locale). Additionally,
> you must use LANG=3Dja_JP.EUC or Linuxulator suppored one(look at
> /compat/linux/usr/share/locale/locale.alias).
>
>   [Linux JDK131]
>     xwnmo:   NO (freeze after conversion)
>     kinput2: OK
>     vje:     NO (freeze after booted
>                  vje warning : XIM_GET_IM_VALUES or XIM_GET_IC_VALUES :
> Invalid Attribute id =3D 217.)

I've used both of these with kinput2/canna and LANG=3Dja_JP.EUC (with lin=
ux=20
locale files set to accept it).  I built the native 1.3.1 with the=20
aforementioned Open Motif patch.

While the notepad and other demos work fine, with Kana/Kanji inline, Toge=
ther=20
<http://www.togethersoft.com>; crashes and burns.

In Together's editor, I first get into henkan mode.  An input window pops=
 up=20
and takes the focus.  In this popup window I type, for example, "tyd@".  =
The=20
hiragana for "kanji" (yes, I touch type the kana keyboard) is displayed. =
 I=20
press the space bar once and it is changed to the last chosen pair of Kan=
ji=20
for "kanji" that I had selected.  When I press the space bar a second tim=
e=20
for more options, kinput2 crashes, closing the popup window, and leaving=20
Together unable to take any further input.

Together must be kill'ed, kinput2 restarted, and only then can I restart=20
Together and input in Japanese.  (Other open applications that use kinput=
2=20
also show strange behavior, so all kterm's, etc. must be closed or they w=
ill=20
not allow Japanese input under the new kinpu2 instance.)

Other Java applications that don't allow inline henkan input show the sam=
e=20
behavior.  I'll try to remember some lighter weight ones than Together.  =
But=20
the free version of Together does shows these symptoms.

Could the popup window test case be added to your array of tests?

Oh, and thank you for the report.

--=20
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/