Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:43:20 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microp 4421-07 fails on tags...

Kenneth D. Merry scribbled this message on Jul 10:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote...
> > well, after a long time testing, the microp 4421-07:
> > da0: <MICROP 4421-07   0329SJ 0329> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
> >
> > has serious problems with tag queuing... the only way I was able to
> > get this drive to work reliably was to turn of tags completely... does
> > anyone have a drive with a different firmware that does do tags?
> >
> > if no one does, I'll just commit the attached patch....
>
> You need to be a little more specific about how the drive is broken, and
> how you tested it.

the drive will not return ccb's (the ccb's will timeout) if you have 2
or more tags defined in the quirk structure...  I tried various levels
of tags from the default limit and 2, 8, 16, and 32 if I remeber
correctly...  all of those would cause a ccb to not be returned and end
up timing out, and now that I have this entry in, I can run with the
fs's on it no longer mounted sync (which helped prevent to many commands
from hitting the drive)...

since I didn't have the nice camcontrol ability to set tags, I had to
build kernels to test this...

of course this still doesn't address the fact that Justin hasn't gotten
back to me on the fact that the adv driver is broken wrt chinon cdrom
drives...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson