Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:22:56 -0500
From:      "Tim M. Kelley" <tkelley@cy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Removing boot manager, again.

I wish to remove the boot manager installed during the freebsd install
process. The reason for this is because the boot manager does not recognize
my freebsd (bootable) disk.

When I try FDISK /MBR (even booted from a floppy), FDISK returns with
    NO FIXED DISKS INSTALLED!

I suspect that FDISK doesn't work is because of my PCI system or the big DOS
(1.2 GB) disk, but that's just a guess.

Incidentally, the only reason I want to remove the boot manager is because
it doesn't recognize the FreeBSD disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the relevant system:
Pentium 75 Mhz, 32 Mb RAM
PCI Bus, Intel Motherboard (triton chipset)
1.44 Mb floppy
Western Digital AC31200 IDE drive,  (DOS disk)
  1.2 Gb master drive on primary IDE
Toshiba ATAPI 4X cdrom slave on primary IDE
Maxtor IDE drive, (FreeBSD disk)
  1.0 Gb master drive on secondary IDE
Maxtor 7213A IDE drive, (currently garbage, to be used by DOS)
   202 Mb slave drive on secondary IDE