Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:02:31 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Measuring transferred bytes on a interface

Hello guys

I have a problem here with one of my customers, he dosn't accept our
volume charged bill and I have to prove the used gigabytes.

Let me describe the setup in short:

                     FreeBSD router box
Cisco1 ---256k---> | --> ar0             |
                   |       ipfw fxp0 --> | ---Hub---> Sun 2.5.1 UE
Cisco2 ---256k---> | --> ar1             |

OK, now I'm measuring the traffic with 'ipfw show' and 'netstat -ib'.

The problem is that the customer simply looks into the logfile of
his poorly set up (logs only some cgi's) webserver and refuses to
pay my bill's because he says he sees only about 1/3 of the traffic.

Now I don't want to loose that customer and I'm looking for a way to
read out the bytecounter of the ethernet interface of the Sun. The
problem is that netstat on Solaris 2.5.1 shows only the transmitted
packets but not the transmitted bytes.

Is there any way to get the bytecounts out of that crappy Solaris
box?

TIA
--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch