Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:34:25 +0000
From:      Ruediger Studanski <innotech_sw@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3C589D and APA 1460 and... on a thinkpad 560

I have  a ThinkPad 560 (120MHz, 40MB  RAM) and therewith some problems:
I have installed BSD from the  DOS partition (Mini configuration plus
X86.

As PC-Card  I have a Adaptec Slim SCSI APA 1460A (io: 340; IRQ 10)
and a 3Com Card 3C589D ISA/PCI) at (io: 300; IRQ 11) or also a
ACCTON EN2216 (io: 300; IRQ 11), which under NT40 at this computer
work without any problems.
Unter BSD I have a new kernel built, but neither the 3Com yet the SCSI
card work.

The lamp in the 3Com adapter shines, but not the led in the HUB (5-port
ethernet hub).
To install  whole system, I need a CD-rom, however, without SCSI have I
also none CD ROM.
What do I have to adjust at the kernel, that the cards become
identified  ??
 (and do theirs work s??)

under X-window have I following problem:
if I've X closed, be absent nearly! all types on the  screen (?!)
what's  wrong ??

I hope for (a fast) help!

with many greetings

R.Studanski,germany