Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:52:17 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I access NTFS partitions from FreeBSD 3.0? Does boot manager of FreeBSD 3.0 understands NT?

Guy Helmer writes:
> > 2. Does boot manager of FreeBSD 3.0 understands NT?
>
> Sure.  I've used it on several systems, although the boot manager shows
> the NTFS as "HPFS" or "???".

On a fresh install of 3.0 from Feb 8, it ID's an NTFS partition as ????.
But on this system which has been upgraded incrementally from 2.1.5 (now
running 3.0, ELF, from Jan 31) it actually says, "NTFS" for the NT
partition.

> > Or there is one way to boot FreeBSD from NT bootmanager only?
>
> Sure.  See the FAQ: http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ122.html

Yeah, but its easier than falling out of bed to boot NT from BootEasy.
Just let the FreeBSD installer install boot blocks for you.

On this system which says, "NTFS", there wasn't an NT partition on it
when FreeBSD was installed. On the 2nd (newer) system NT was installed
first.