Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 20:56:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        ctm-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   PGP signing

This is a heads up that PGP key signing will be added very soon to all ctm
pieces that go out.  The signing will be done with the GnuPG tool.  I will
release the public key fairly quickly too, this is just notice that you
want to
install either PGP or GnuPG (both are in ports/security) if you want to be
able to verify the veracity of the pieces.  The binary deltas will still
be available as they always have been, and the format for those will not
be modified in any way.  The only thing modified will be the mailed (and
ascii-encoded) "pieces".

The public key will carry the name "CTM Generator <ctm@freebsd.org>", and
be available at key servers.

"Seth" (seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org) helped me by checking that the pieces
are totally compatible with PGP, and he contributes this tested shell
script and procmail fragment (below).  Mark Murray helped me a great deal,
by not letting me commit crypto-stupidity at least once.

(actually, I'll just cut-n-paste here... it's short enough).  Note that
you will have to change -p, -d, -b, and -l to sane values...

#!/bin/sh

pgpv -f | tee -a pgpout | ctm_rmail -f -v -p . -d . -b . -l ./rmaillog

The "tee -a pgpout" is for diagnostics... it can be removed if you don't
want it.

That's it.  I haven't idiot-proofed it yet (dunno what happens on invalid
signature), but it DOES unpack the deltas.

This script will get kicked off by the following procmail rule:

:0:
* ^FROM.*owner-ctm-src-3
| /path/to/this/script

... and it expects the signed mail to come from STDIN (the 'pgpv -f').  It
will verify the signature (pgpv), then pass it to ctm_rmail via STDOUT.
The rest is standard.

The transmission of the signed pieces will start inside the next day or
so, as soon as some administrative details are taken care of.

Guess this'll take care of the security concerns.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.