Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:39:15 -0500
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw question ....

On 08/09/14 09:15, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 8/9/2014 10:15 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>

>> Why is there a limit on the # of logged denials by ipfw ?
>
> The limit is there to prevent conditions where syslog would be
> overwhelmed with hits, as in the case for example of a DoS.  You can
> change it as discussed in the man pages
>

> If net.inet.ip.fw.verbose is set to 1, packets will be logged to
> syslogd(8) with a LOG_SECURITY facility up to a maximum of logamount
> packets.  If no logamount is specified, the limit is taken from the
> sysctl variable net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit.  In both cases, a value
> of 0 means unlimited logging.
>
> Once the limit is reached, logging can be re-enabled by clearing the
> logging counter or the packet counter for that entry, see the resetlog
> command.
>
>     ---Mike

Hmmmm .... OK, sounds good. I would like a bit more granularity on
deciding what to log & what to not log. For example, 99% of the time, I
would drop denials from my LAN, except when I am trying to figure out
why I can't get NFS working, for example. I'd like to be able to choose
that when I (re)start ipfw. I am using the default rc.firewall located
in /etc, BTW. I might like to specify denial-logging by protocol *and*
port #, rather than just port # .... Is there a way to implement any of
this ? Thanks & TIA ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."