Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 23:41:06 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CAM Testimonials

On 1998-03-11 12:30 -0700, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com> wrote:
> >I havent been able to get the latest CAM snap to work on my machine.
> >
> >Specs:
> >
> >-current kernel ca 3/10/98, userland bits from ~ 1/27/98.
> >Asus SC200 (53c810 based card)
> >Micropolis Stinger 4gig HD (MICROP 4743 S150)
> >SCSI CD-ROM (MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-506 8S05)
>
> Ah yes.  An 810 controller.  I know of this problem, but have no 810
> to play with.  I'll try to get my hands on one, but until I do, I'll
> work with Stefan to see if this can be resolved.

I had trouble downloading the CAM patches, but finally
got them via UUENCODED mail (direct FTP transfers from
KDM.Org and FreeBSD.Org failed for some reason still
unknown to me ...)

Since I already had a previous version applied, and have
other local modifications which might conflict with those
patches, I'll need some spare time (possibly tomorrow night)
to apply them and test the kernel.

The last set of CAM patches worked for me, but the system
started to freeze after minutes to hours of heavy use.
But this may have been caused by the VM and VFS changes,
that went into current at the same time ...
I never was able to get a kernel dump, since the system
just became non-responsive (incl. the keyboard LEDs !).

My system (53c810 with Quantum Atlas, HP 1533 DAT, Toshiba
CD-ROM and a 53c875 with an IBM DORS) was probed correctly
(I did not try to actually use the tape or CD-ROM drives)
and worked just fine until lockup ...

Regards, STefan