Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:26:25 PDT
From:      "Dragon Knight" <mrspuds@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sony IDE CD-Rom

Hey.  I Am New.  If I Make An Ass Of Myself (Which I Do Tend To Do More
Often Than Not) Please Let Me Know,  I'll Stop.

Here Is My Problem, I Had 2 IDE CD-Rom Drives, One Was Old And A Piecer
And All That And Has Since Been Removed From My Box. The Other Is A Few
Month Old Sony CDU-928 Series CD-Recordable.  Fully ATAPI Compliant,
Yada Yada Yada.  When I Was Booting With FreeBSD It Failed To Find
Either CD-Rom.  At That Time The Sony Was Slave On The Secondary IDE
Port, Now It Is Master, But I'm Thinking That Wouldn't Make Any
Difference In Whether It Was Detected Or Not.  So Anyway.  I Have An IDE
CD-Rom That FreeBSD Can't Seem To Find.  Ok,  I'm Disappointed As Heck.
But Hey.  I Can Live With Windows Explorer Crashes Every 2 Hours.  It's
Not That Big A Deal.  Then, I Downloaded RedHat Linux 5.1.  Made A Boot
Disk And Boom.  There's My CD-Rom.  And I Would Much Rather Run FreeBSD
Than Linux But Without CD-Rom Support I'm Afraid That Won't Happen.  Oh
Yes.  I Have Been Told By At Least 5 or 6 People To Just Go Out And Buy
A SCSI Controller And Use SCSI Disks.  And God Dammit I'd Love To But I
Have Trouble Affording A Can Of Coke At The Local Store So How The Hell
And I Going To Scuzzy Out My System?  So Please Don't Tell Me To Buy
SCSI Devices.  I Hate It When People Do That.  Anyway.  If Anyone Has
Any Idea's About How I Might Get This CD-Rom Working Please Let Me
Know...   Or...   If Anyone's Willing To Donate Some SCSI Hardware To A
15 Year Old That Would Bow Down Before Your Infinite Greatness That
Would Be Good Too.  (Although Not Very Likely To Happen).

Oh Yes.  I Have Another Small Problem.  Neither FreeBSD or Linux Seem To
Have Much Luck With My Modem.  It's A Gateway 2000 Telepath 33.6.  Don't
Laugh.  It Was Given To Me With Good Intentions.  Picture This.
Christmas.  An Old Burnt Out Puter In A Dark Basement.  And A Big
Spotted Box.  Joy Joy Joy.   :)       -  Oh Yes,  The Modem Is Basically
A USR 33.6 Voice WinModem.  And Everyone That Has Heard That I Have A
WinModem Has Either Laughed Or Cried.  I Tend To Be Doing More Of The
Latter.

Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated.
I Do Tend To Ramble On Quite A Bit And Spit Out Quite A Bit Of
Worthless Information And For That I'm Deeply Sorry.

Samuel Greear