Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:27:17 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create a partition for FreeBSD 9.0?

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:07:09 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 23:35 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > > /dev/sda1              63   121274684    60637311   83  Linux
> >
> > This is the partition you're going to install FreeBSD to?
> > Good, just delete it and let the installer do the work. :-)
>
> Yes, but the install doesn't do it! I can delete it now, instead of
> trying to delete it with the installer and see if the installer will
> work then.

That sounds good. The installer should be able to detect
the free space and assign it to a slice (that can then
used to create partitions inside it) or GPT partitions
(until the free space is consumed).

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:14:49 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 23:35 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > You can also switch to "manual mode"
>
> I did this first and it didn't work.

I meant the "really manual mode" (CLI) as to be seen in
Fig. 3-10, named "Shell" (that's why the confusion, sorry).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html

I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the new
installer (bsdinstall), I've been occassionally using
the old installer (sysinstall) in the past, with less
options where one could do something wrong. :-)

It's important that you either make sure there is one
free slice (means: max. 3 "DOS primary partitions" are
defined, one "slot" is free), or use GPT (command line
tool: gpart).

This is what you should be able to do when using the
"Shell" option, even though the guided and manual mode
should work. What's "exceptional" in your case: You
have defined a lot of partitions for Linux, maybe this
confuses the new installer. :-)

You also should decide _which_ partitioning approach
works for you - MBR or (probably) GPT. This also depends
on how you have organized your Linusi.

The use of the CLI tools for this approach are documented
in Warren's article I've mentioned in a previous message.

> PS: I very often receive mails two times :(, from the list and directly
> send to me. I notice that "mailing list" options for the MUA are broken.
> Is mailman misconfigured or did I miss something I should take care off?
> I don't have such issues with other mailing lists.

Sorry, don't mind: This is obviously a problem on _my_ side,
the "reply all" vs. "reply to mailing-list". The list system
should be working properly; you should receive this message
now from the list (as it is intended).

I'm just too stupid to use a computer. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany