Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:42:41 -0400
From:      "Takkala" <takkala@mail.highstar.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Boot problems...

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with this little problem that
i am having...

Ok, everytime i boot FreeBSD, as soon as it finishes the line begining with
"wd1",

wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <Conner Peripherals 170MB - CP30174E>

wd1: 162MB (332304 sectors), 903 cyls, 8 heads, 46 S/T, 512 B/S

it takes about 20 seconds for the kernel to continue to this next part,

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <CD420E/1.03>, removable, iordy

atapi1.0: unknown phase

which incidentally takes about 20 seconds to complete. Is there something
wrong with the configuration of my kernel? Is it possible to speed it up?
This problem occurs both with the GENERIC kernel and my custom kernel.
BTW, my Creative Labs CD-420E CD-ROM is the master on the secondary
controller, and my second hdrive (Conner Peripherals 170MB) is the slave on
the primary controller.

Another problem, when the kernel gets to initializing my scsi zip drive,
this happens,

sd0(aic0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
and,
sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry

whats wrong with that part?

One more thing, at the point where it mounts my msdos partion, i get the
error,

mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
clustersize in length

 I heard on #freebsd, that this has something to do with using Partion
Magic and/or FIPS to repartion MS-DOS drives, is taht true and how do i fix
it?

Thanks,
-Jari