Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:20:17 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "nw1" <network101@covad.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Drive Geometry -- confusion.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:20, nw1 wrote:
> FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p13
> This document can also be viewed @
> https://69.3.136.141/freebsd/installation/geometry
>
> Install 4.8 from CD-rom
>
> Drive Geometry confusion.
> My BIOS allows me a very limited amount of settings when it comes to an
> HDD. The following are the only settings offered by my BIOS:
>
> Read Prefetch - [Disabled | Enabled] - set to (Disabled)
> Disk Bios Translation - [LBA | CHS | Disabled] - set to (LBA)
> Local Bus IDE Mode - [High Performance | Compatible] - set to (High
> Performance)
>
> Size - 8455 MB --Auto-detected-- This is actually an 80GB HDD model:
> WD800JB. (Unable to change the 'Size' setting.)
>
> The only other setting that could remotely be associated with any HDD's
> installed would be the 'boot order' of the devices.
>
> ... sysinstall main menu | Custom | Partition :
>
> Here's where I'm confused;  The following dialog message is printed:
>
> WARNING: A geometry of 155061/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect.  Using a more
> likely geometry.  If this geometry is incorrect or you are unsure as to
> whether or not it's correct, Please consult the Hardware Guide in the
> Documentation submenu or use the (G)eometry command to change it now.
>
> Remember: you need to enter whatever your BIOS thinks the geometry is! =
 For
> IDE, it's what you were told in the BIOS setup.  For SCSI, its the
> translation mode your controller is using.  Do NOT use a "physical
> Geometry".
>
> ## With the above two (2) paragraphs having been said,  All I have at t=
his
> point is the physical geometry given by the WD800JB specs --which the a=
bove
> paragraphs are currently fobbing me to use.
>
> Lets press <enter> for OK and move further into this...
>
> We're in the FDISK Partition Editor where it states on the second line =
from
> the top: DISK Geometry: 9729 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors =3D 156296385 se=
ctors
> (76316MB)
>
> If I understand correctly, the physical geometry of this WD800JB is:
>
> Cylinders =3D 16383
> Heads =3D 16
> Sectors/Track =3D 63

A simple calculation from these figures gives a total capacity of about 8=
=2E4Gb.
In no way are these figures real (or even equivalent) for an 80Gb drive. =
The=20
problem is that the hardware/software does not have the bit capacity to=20
recognise more than 16383 cylinders. The 80Gb corresponds roughly with th=
e=20
155061/16/63 figure.

In fact modern drives at the disk hardware level expect simple absolute s=
ector=20
number for addressing not CHS, and in fact there may be different numbers=
 of=20
sectors to a track dependent on its diameter. So the 155061/16/63 figures=
 are=20
only some sort of equivalent CHS used in translating CHS addresses to=20
absolute sector numbers. In principle you could pretend the CHS geometry =
was=20
almost anything you want so long as it allows translation of hypothetical=
 CHS=20
addreses to real absolute sector addresses.

The catch comes in the limitations of the bios/software/hardware register=
s to=20
hold the CHS quantities. Using maxima for heads (255) and sectors (63) ke=
eps=20
the number of cylinders to a realisable value. Hence 9729/255/63 looks li=
ke=20
the right choice.

Malcolm Kay