Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 05:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> Make that three old farts in agreement :-)...

Four... I'm 41.

> I think age will be the splitting factor here :-).  Those of us who have
> been around config(8) for years have no problems understanding why some
> things just don't go right and just how to blow away the right .o files
> and get back rather quickly.  Others who have not been doing this for
> years simply take the slow, but guaranteed to work way out of rm'ing
> the whole pile :-(.
>
> Maybe if they had to build BSD 4.2 kernels on VAX 11/730's they might
> appreciate our point a little more...  with the event of boxes that
> can compile the whole world in 3 hrs and a kernel in 8 minutes you
> tend to start getting rather sloppy about dependency tree maintenance :-(.

I never built 4.2 on an 11/730 -- Installing VMS on 'em was enough pain
for me.  However, I did a make world on a 386sx/25 with 8mb of memory
and it took a couple of days to finish.

I can't wait for Micronics to ship my 486 board back from repair.

Bill
 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |