Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:07:29 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, Robert Drehmel <robert@zoot.drehmel.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, robert@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing 'struct utmp'

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20020628113454.B34516@espresso.q9media.com>, Mike Barcroft writes
    :
> >Robert Drehmel <robert@zoot.drehmel.com> writes:
> >> While trying to fix the bug described in a problem report about
> >> 'w -n', and finding out that it is somewhat broken*, I came to
> >> the conclusion that our 'struct utmp' is too limiting.
> >>
> >> I would like to modernize it as follows:
> >>
> >> #define	UT_USERSIZE		16
> >> #define	UT_LINESIZE		8
> >> #define	UT_HOSTSIZE		18	/* increase by two bytes */
> >
> >I think it might be a wise idea to make UT_HOSTSIZE much larger.
> >Currently, it isn't even large enough to hold an IPv6 address.
>
> really guys, we need to do this right.
>
> The entire "line-number from /etc/ttys is index into file" concept
> sucks.
>
> Fixed sized records suck badly.
>
> Please, if you're going to do it, do it right.

Yep.  Also:
- make a proper API to deal with it, otherwise things like xterm will trash
  the utmp file all over again without a 'final solution'.
- make sure we can extend it in the future without having to do this all over
  again.
- I'd quite like a variable sized .db file with a 'standard' getutent() style
  interface to it.
- wtmp probably shouldn't be a .db file, but then again, it probably can.

Cheers,
-Peter