Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:10:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

John Baldwin wrote:
> To me, it seems more sensible to use the same interface that
> ldconfig uses.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

ldconfig is a serious pain in the ass, ever since the "fix"
that made it not look in the linkage or configured directories
on a lookup miss.

This is particularly aggregious if you have a "/opt" or some
other place where you prefer to install your ports or locally
developed software.

Having to reboot to make things work really, really sucks --
and that is often necessary if you build code from the net,
which FreeBSD has mistakenly included as part os the base
system monolith.  OpenSSL, OpenSSH, and the resolver library
are three examples that leap lithely to mind.

It is a serious pain that the default compilation options
enable the machine specific optimizations and higher compile
levels in the Linux OpenSSL, rendering it 2-3 time faster
than the FreeBSD version, depending on hardware.  I _do not
want_ the FreeBSD version of this library when I'm linking
my stuff.

Likewise, the lack of a parallel, asynchronous resolver is a
serious deficit in FreeBSD, which is the result of jamming
the recolver into libc "because libresolv is how SVR4 and
Linux do it, and it would be a pain to go through and change
the network using ports to include the library linkage for
the one time it would be necessary".

UGH.

-- Terry