Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 22:36:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pointer problems, 2.2.5

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Daniel R.  Brownstone wrote:

> I apologize if I should have caught this either in a FAQ or in the
> handbook.  We recently upgraded our system from 2.2 to 2.2.5-STABLE, and
> shortly thereafter we seem to be getting this error.  Rebooting seems to
> solve the problem for a few days, then it myseteriously comes back.  We
> get this message when we telnet in, or when we try to ftp.  (The ftp will
> not work, as a result.  The telnet will.)  Any suggestions:
>
> The error is:
>
> inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

This happens to a fraction of the users and unfortunately I don't know a
solution offhand.

The last suggestion was to check `netstat -m' and see how many mbuf
clusters are in use and the max value.  If the max is within 3/4 of the
total maxiumum (default 255?) then you need to increase the number by
compiling your kernel with `options NMBCLUSTERS=XXXX'.

Something is running out of memory or is leaking memory.