Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:06:38 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        A.Flavell@physics.gla.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote:

> Although my newly built freeBSD system (on an elderly 486 PC) seems to
> be performing in accordance with expectations, I'm still noticing this
> oddity at every startup:
>
>   RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17<memory_size,invalid_time>
>
> I hadn't found anything definite about this in FAQs or mail archives,
> but there was some indication it might point to a dead motherboard
> battery.  Which would have been at least plausible, as the PC in
> question was quite old (but in DOS its real time clock looked OK).
> Anyhow, I tried replacing the motherboard battery, but it hasn't made
> any difference.
>
> Is this a matter that I should be concerned about, or not?

I'm inclined to think not. I get an "error" worded something like

"Basemem (xxxxxx) != BIOS RTC mem (yyyyyyy); using BIOS value"

where "xxxxxx" and "yyyyyy" are numbers of bytes, both figures being
around 64MB, which is the memory I have installed.

I'm not at home right now so I can't get the exact wording, but I have
had it with all versions of FreeBSD, 2.2.[578], that I've run on this
PC.

The message I get is coming from FreeBSD, the wording of yours sounds
like it's a BIOS message.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-586TX m/b, K6-233, 64MB, Award 4.51PGM BIOS.

The message seems harmless.

> thanks.

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.