Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:15:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Henrik Johansson <f94jnh@student.udd.htu.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Only one DOS partition allowed?

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Henrik Johansson wrote:

> I tried installing FreeBSD 2.2.2 the other day. I previously had 4 DOS
> partitions on my computer, whereof one was a primary partition and the
> other logical units in an extended partition.  In FreeBSDīs fdisk menu
> the logical partitions in the extended partition apparently are not
> recognised, so FreeBSD sees the extended partition "as a whole".
> Therefore I tried recreating the lost partitions by assigning the number
> 6 for DOS-file format to the newly created partitions. several "X":s
> turn up on screen to mark these DOS-partition, and the installation
> later fails with thee message "Max one DOS partition as child of whole".

Where were you trying to install FreeBSD to?  FreeBSd requires it's own
partition and can't be installed inside of a DOS partition.

> I tried to escape this problem by assigning these partitions as FreeBSD
> and Linux instead, go on with the installation, and then via OS/2īs
> fdisk change these FreeBSD and Linux partitions back to DOS format.
> OS/2īs fdisk was not allowed to modify these partitions! It could not
> delete them!

The partitions you changed the type on need to be restored to what they
were.  Hopefully they weren't destroyed in the process.

> I would like to have several DOS partitions on my computer, so is there a
> workaround for this problem?

Buy a new hard disk and use it for FreeBSD.  Seriously.  It's much easier
than trying to swing partitions.