Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 05:43:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        sjr@home.net (Stephen J. Roznowski), freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spelling of ASCII in man pages?

> * Stephen J. Roznowski (sjr@home.net) [990909 07:14]:
> >I've noticed on several of the man pages that ASCII has various
> >spellings: ASCII, Ascii, ascii.
> >
> >Should these be corrected to ASCII?
>
> Given how anal we are about FreeBSD.org we should prolly be as anal
> about this.
>
> The best documentation is consistent. This goes double for contractions.
> Contractions in documentation are a BIG no-no.

Yes and no on the contraction point.  I was the first person to sweep
through the handbook/FAQ and kill all of the contractions.  This was
done to make it easier for the foreign language translators.  At the
time a couple of people pointed out that using contractions in
technical documents isn't necessarily bad, since it help readability
and makes the tone of the document a little less formal.  I have a
couple of tech writers guides that don't encourage their use, but they
also don't discourage their use (and they do mention them, so they
just didn't ignore the subject).

As for man pages, I leave the contractions alone -- unless I happen
to be re-wording that particular sentence/line.  This is especially
true of 4.4BSD-lite derived documents, since it makes it easier
for us to import changes from the other BSDs.

So the trade-off is that our documents might be little more stiff,
but we are making it easier for the translators.  That was the
whole theory behind it.

Then again, we changed our minds about freebsd.org.  We used to
always specify FreeBSD.ORG, and now we want FreeBSD.org.  Doesn't
matter either way, just as long as we are consistent.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net