Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:10:04 +1000
From:      "malones" <malones@powerup.com.au>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Installing from ATAPI CD-ROM

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C0C5DF.AD5B6200

Dear FreeBSD:

I am currently trying to install Free BSD from a Walnut Creek CD, dated =
June 1999, which came with the book "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey =
which I have recently purchased.

My Bios supports booting from CD and I have tried both this and making a =
boot floppy-set, but get the same result each time - when I select =
CD-ROM as the installation medium, I get the "No CD-ROM device found" =
error.  I have a Sony CDU-4811 CD-ROM running on the second IDE port on =
the motherboard.  I have a GA-586T2 motherboard with a pentium MMX-166 =
with 128MB of RAM.  It has 2-channel ultra DMA/33 enhanced IDE on board =
using IRQ 14 & 15, and supports mode 3, 4 IDE and ATAPI CD-ROM (taken =
straight from the motherboard user manual, as you may have guessed).

I don't think I can install from any other medium as I am sharing the =
hard drive with an NT 4.0 partition (NTFS not FAT) and it is a =
standalone PC (no network).  I tried making a DOS partition and copying =
the install CD, and this gave an error and failed (I guess because it is =
not the primary microsoft partition). =20

Is there something I need to change in the kernel configuration or a new =
driver to support the Sony CD-ROM?  Any help you can provide will be =
graciously accepted as I desperately want to install BSD as soon as =
possible.

Cheers,
Michael Malone

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C0C5DF.AD5B6200

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear FreeBSD:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am currently trying to install Free =
BSD from a=20
Walnut Creek CD, dated June 1999, which came with the book "The Complete =

FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey which I have recently purchased.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My Bios supports booting from CD and I =
have tried=20
both this and making a boot floppy-set, but get the same result each =
time - when=20
I select CD-ROM as the installation medium, I get the "No CD-ROM device =
found"=20
error.&nbsp; I have a Sony CDU-4811 CD-ROM running on the second IDE =
port on the=20
motherboard.&nbsp; I have a GA-586T2 motherboard with a pentium MMX-166 =
with=20
128MB of RAM.&nbsp; It has 2-channel ultra DMA/33 enhanced IDE on board =
using=20
IRQ 14 &amp; 15, and supports mode 3, 4 IDE and ATAPI CD-ROM (taken =
straight=20
from the motherboard user manual, as you may have guessed).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't think I can install from any =
other medium=20
as I am sharing the hard drive with an NT 4.0 partition (NTFS <U>not =
</U>FAT)=20
and it is a standalone PC (no network).&nbsp; I tried making a DOS =
partition and=20
copying the install CD, and this gave an error and failed (I guess =
because it is=20
not the primary microsoft partition).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there something I need to change in =
the kernel=20
configuration or a new driver to support the Sony CD-ROM?&nbsp; Any help =
you can=20
provide will be graciously accepted as I desperately want to install BSD =
as soon=20
as possible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Michael=20
Malone</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C0C5DF.AD5B6200--