Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kris@gwyneth.gric.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sniffit says "device not configured"?

Maybe i should post this to the ports list but i figured this is a good
place to start.

I'm trying to get sniffit to run on a LAN with miserable results. I
installed it from the ports tree. I'm running -stable. Here's my output
running this program as root of course:

{149}# sniffit -F /dev/bpf0 -I
Forcing device to /dev/bpf0 (user requested)...
Make sure you have read the docs carefully.
Supported Network device found. (/dev/bpf0)
/dev/bpf0: Device not configured

I've read the docs as it said and can't find anything I missed, I also
searched the maillist archives for any clues but no such luck. Tcpdump
seems to work fine as well as other apps that use bpf0 so i'm fairly
certain that I got that part correct in the kernel, also the ethernet
card works without fail. My card is device xl0. I've tried many things to
"configure" this device including ./MAKEDEV /dev/bfp0, setting more
generous permissions, etc. Anyone who's gotten sniffit to work have any
special tips? TIA.