Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 00:53:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jamie <batsy@groovy.dreaming.org>
To:        Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 Crack code

> Does anyone out there have a patch or even full source code for a Crack
> capable of dealing with FreeBSD's MD5 passwd files?

In fact it was me that was posting it. Mind you it was for fear of someone
using the getpwent() bug (check CERT archives) using ushadow.c. Someone
pointed out that I had nothing to fear from that bug. Mind you I am
uncomfortable with the idea that there is one out there and I can't find it.
Though someone gaining root access on my machine would make the master.passwd
file useless in that they could get whatever they wanted and then leave a
trojan, there are other ways to get the master passwd file on FreeBSD. These
of course are not specific to FreeBSD but common misconfigurations. (i.e
NFS, ftp and the like). I think that public knowledge of the existance of
a crack would be far more useful to admins than "security through obscurity".
There is a good reference to that in Practical Unix Security
(O'rielly & Assoc.) and as I remember, it was not a facourable one

		A fish walks into a bar,  completely
		skewing all laws of probablility in
		the universe which, subsequently, implodes.
			Some Guy Named Jamie
		      batsy@groovy.dreaming.org