Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:06:20 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpd - remote printing with an output filter

As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> I was looking thru the handbook the other night while setting up my
> printer. Saw a comment that one way to implement a filter on a remote
> printer was to make a "virtual" local printer with an "if" or "of" filter
> of your choice which ultimately pipes the output right back into "lpr
> -Preal_printer". Doesn't seem so hard? I must be missing something.

It's not too hard.  However, you lose the ability to kill the job once
it went into the final queue, since it's owned by `daemon' then.

We use this method extensively at work (mainly for filtering
PostScript), and i wrote a setuid perl wrapper that re-owns the job if
it originated from a local user.  (If the job has been remote, all
bets are off anyway, and it will still be owned by daemon.)

I can contribute that perl wrapper if people are interested.

--
cheers, J"org