Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:53:19 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nathan Mace" <nmace85@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: to upgrade or not too?

I'm still running Windows 95 on a number of systems and I never felt
the need to upgrade it, why would FreeBSD be any different? :-)

Seriously, it's not a problem if you are running 3.X or later and keeping
current
with the security patches.  Many people that build servers will install the
OS once and never upgrade it for the entire life of the hardware.  When the
server is decommissioned then you can replace it with new server hardware
that has the new version of the OS on it.

Let me ask this: is it better for you to spend the time rebuilding everything
or
spend that same time rebuilding everything on NEW hardware?  When you look at
it
the cost of your time way outweighs the cost of the new hardware.