Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 19:27:16 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com>
To:        Dan Mahoney <dan@ns1.wolf.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

On 2 Sep 98, at 17:44, Dan Mahoney wrote:

> I suspect it's just because I've never taken the time to figure
> out how to do advanced database activities using PHP/FI, while
> doing so in Perl is straightforward and usually pretty simple.
>
> I've had others tell me as well that it's a lot simpler to put
> together a new app in PHP/FI than in Perl, but I seem to have
> some difficulty getting my mind around the PHP/FI way of doing
> things...

As someone else pointed out, PHP/FI is just PHP now that version
3 is out.  A *lot* has changed since it was PHP/FI.

Anyway, PHP has built-in functions for connecting to and running
queries on databases.  Something like this, for example:

$conn = mysql_connect($host, $user, $password);
mysql_select_db($db_name, $conn);
$result = mysql_query($sql, $conn);
$array = mysql_fetch_row($result);

I, on the other hand, seem to have difficulty getting my mind around
DBI/DBD.  :)

Oh, and Apache/PHP/MySQL runs great on FreeBSD.
(See, this is on topic!)

Dave