Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 00:09:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Following config file kills network, why?

THis config file when compiled on -current (2/28/96) fails.  It also fails
on any recent -stable, although it compiles and runs fine on a
2.1-release box.   (Modulo the 686 stuff).

The symptom is simple.  Basically everything works, except the 3com
card.  when ever I try to use it, I get no output (no tx on the tp), and
ping reports "sendto: Permission denied".

The box is a P590-triton, one 2940, one 2940UW, 2 serial, 1 parallel
(disabled), some crappy VGA card, and a 3c509B.

Box works beautifully under 2.1-release, but I'm stumped on -current.

All I recall removing were drivers that I don't even have and itcouldn't
find, but I'll be darned if I can figure out the bad interaction.

Any tip appreciated, I'd really like to get -current cruising.  Note that
a generic kernel from 2.2 works fine as well.  So I suspect some
interdependency somewhere.

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I386_CPU"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
cpu		"I686_CPU"
ident		NEWS
maxusers	128

options		MATH_EMULATE		#Support for x87 emulation
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		NFS			#Network Filesystem
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		"CD9660"		#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options		SCSI_DELAY=15		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console

options		"OPEN_MAX=256"
options		"CHILD_MAX=256"

options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options		IPACCT

options		QUEUE_FULL_SUPPORTED
options		AHC_TAGENABLE

config		kernel	root on sd0

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1
# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc) is sufficient
# for any number of installed devices.
controller	ahc0
controller 	ahc1

controller	scbus0 at ahc0
controller	scbus1 at ahc1

device          sd0 at scbus0 target 0
device          sd1 at scbus0 target 1
device          sd2 at scbus0 target 2
device          sd3 at scbus0 target 3
device          sd4 at scbus0 target 4
device          sd5 at scbus0 target 5
device          sd6 at scbus0 target 6
device          sd7 at scbus0 target 7

device          sd10 at scbus1 target 0
device          sd11 at scbus1 target 1
device          sd12 at scbus1 target 2
device          sd13 at scbus1 target 3
device          sd14 at scbus1 target 4
device          sd15 at scbus1 target 5
device          sd16 at scbus1 target 6
device          sd17 at scbus1 target 7

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

#device de0
device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 15 vector epintr

pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	pty	32
# keep this if you want to be able to continue to use /stand/sysinstall
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's