Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:46:10 -0700
From:      Terry Ewing <terrye@deepwell.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2-stable -> 2.2.7 Conversion

Hi,

Currently we're running a webserver on 2.2-stable.  I'd like to upgrade
this machine to 2.2.7 and eventually bring it to 3.0 later.  Since the web
server is a very high traffic machine I've decided to build a second
machine, throw 2.2.7 on it, copy user directories over to it, and name it
with the same IP.  If this all goes right then users should never know the
difference.

Here's the catch...  When I did this, and copied /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd over from the 2.2.stable machine it stops recognizing
passwords.  What was a valid password on the 2.2-stable machine doesn't
work on the 2.2.7 machine.  I DID run pwd_mkdb and it seemed to work.

When I look at the /etc/master.passwd I notice that the 2.2-stable version
has much shorter encrypted passwords.  I know I'm missing the obvious, but
can someone show me my mistake?

- Terry Ewing   <terrye@deepwell.com>
Deepwell Internet Services