Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:11:57 -0500
From:      "Jim Thomson" <thomson9@flash.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Hardware requirements

My main interest right now is learning to use Linux to implement a DSL
firewall. I'm just now learning web stuff and am currently using PII 400/NT4
Workstation and Pentium Pro 200/NT4 Server. I'm interested in setting up a
Linux box as firewall/router. I've been told it can be done om a 486, single
floppy system.

I have an old Dell 486SX but don't see any hardware notes on using a 486.
Also didn't see anything on required hard disk space if I want to load the
full OS.

If I can't use this 486 machine, I'll probably build me a new workstation,
use the Pro for the firewall, and convert my current workstation to the
server. I'd like to save the $1200, if possible, while learning and then
apply it to upgrading the entire system when I get it all working.

Is there a decent site for using a 486 in this manner? I have a friend who
says he can set it up for me, but I'd like to get into Linux and my approach
has always been to learn by doing.

Any comments would be appreciated.