Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:45:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Shane Kinney <shane@freebsdhackers.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jimit@myrealbox.com
Subject:   Re: Refusing Connections

> > > OS - 5.0 RC2
> > > Apache - 2.0.43
> > > OpenSSL - 0.9.6g
> > >
> > > I'm having a rather odd problem and I can't quite put my finger on it.   I
> > > can verify that the apache httpd is running but I am unable to connect to
> > > the box on port 80.
> > > I verified that httpd.conf specifies port 80.  I've verified that the
> > > firewall is disabled.  I can connect on other ports so I know that the
> > > network settings are working properly.    If someone could point out what
> > > I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it.  I have a feeling that it's going
> > > to be a "DOH!" momemt.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ms. Jimi Thompson
> Stacey Roberts
> B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science
>
> Web: www.vickiandstacey.com

I think I know what you are trying to say Ms. Thompson.  It probably
seems that you have gotten your Apache configuration to start and run,
however, for whatever reason, can not seem to get the Apache Daemon to
serve you a webpage.

By default, unless you changed it in "/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf",
apache will create a socket and bind (listen) to incomming connections
on Port 80.  As, previously mentioned, some ISP's do block incomming
Port 80 connections before they can get to your webserver, for various
reasons, I won't tread into why they do that.

However, even though your ISP might block the connection, that does not
mean that you cannot have Apache serve you a webpage from inside your
LAN.  To test that Apache is up and running this is what you need know
now, and the steps you should take.

1)  Find out the internal IPv4 address of your webserver.  (If you only
have 1 internal machine behind your router you can use "127.0.0.1").
Make sure that there is a good "Route to host" from whatever your
workstation might be at to the webserver, i.e. Ping the webserver make
sure it responds.

2) Make sure that Apache is running.  This will tell you for sure:
	# netstat -an | grep -i 80
	You should see some output like this:
		tcp4	0	0  *.80		*.*		LISTEN

3)  If you have X Windows running, you can use your normal browser,
otherwise you'll want to install "Lynx", you can find and install this
port by doing the following:
	# cd /usr/ports/www/lynx ; make && make install

4)  Then time to test to see if this really works, with your browser we
need to enter the IP address of the webserver on the LAN, again, if you
are going to test the webserver from your one box, "127.0.0.1" works
fine.  So enter this into your browser:
	http://the_webserver_ip_address
	-- Possibly could look somthing like this:
		http://192.168.1.2
		-- or --
		http://127.0.0.1

If you did install Lynx to use it from the command line:
	# /usr/local/bin/lynx http://your_webserver_ip_address
	or
	# /usr/local/bin/lynx http://127.0.0.1

Hopefully you got something back on this request, if not, something
might be incorrect with your Apache config.

If you did get back a default webpage or what you did expect from this
request (one of your own webpages perhaps), thats good, it means
that everything is just fine with Apache.

5) Now all you need to do to get around your ISP's blocking of Port 80
is just stop apache:
	# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
then edit the "/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf" file and change the
line that now specifies Port 80 and change it to something else, many
people use Port 8080 as an alternative.

Then just start Apache again:
	# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

Check to make sure that your listening on the correct port:
	# netstat -an | grep -i 8080
	tcp4	0	0  *.8080	*.*		LISTEN

Thats all!
Hope that'll get you going in the right direcetion.

~Shane
pgp key: http://www.freebsdhackers.net

PS: Stacey Roberts posted some good information about why your internal
name resolution might not work, read up on /etc/hosts and BIND to solve
thoes problems if they exist.