Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:33:05 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jeff Tolley <jeff@comnetcom.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quick question on passwd file.

On Tuesday,  7 December 1999 at 16:32:29 -0600, Jeff Tolley wrote:
> I hope this in the right place.

You're probabbly better off in -questions, since this isn't a
specifically ISP issue.

> We are currently in the process of migrating our webserver to a
> better machine. What is the best way to move the users from the old
> machine to the new machine? Is simply copying over the passwd and
> master.passwd file's enough?

There are in fact two other files, /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db as
well.  But you can generate them and /etc/passwd from
/etc/master.passwd (thus the name).  The "correct" way to do it is
with pwd_mkdb(8), which has a reasonable man page.  The "easy" way do
to it is with vipw(8).  You'll have to change something and write it
back to fool vipw to start pwd_mkdb, but that's about all you need to
do.

Greg