Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:21:54 -0400
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libkse / libthr bugs?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:36:24 -0700
Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:32:02AM -0700, Alex Boisvert wrote:
> >
> > I written a small test case (see source below), which I've run against
> > both libkse and libthr.  I'm using -CURRENT as of last Tuesday and
> > running on a Dual Athlon MP 1.2 GHz (Tyan Thunder K7 motherboard).

On i386 libthr limits an application to 128 _concurrent_ threads. So, you
should check the return value from pthread_create() for EAGAIN, in which case
you should retry again.

> On ia64 I get the following with libthr (libkse is not completely
> ported yet):
>
> % ./foo2 1000
> [very long list of random "bar #"
>  :
> bar 999
> bar 226
> bar 244
> Thread (_thread_initial:0) already on mutexq
> Fatal error 'Illegal call from signal handler' at line 1347 in file
> /nfs/freebsd/5.x/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)

Great! I've been waiting for this message to appear for some time. Do you have a
backtrace by any chance? If not, that's Ok, even without it the program is
simple enough that I know where to start looking.

> Note that I don't have any of David's signal code patches applied.

Any unbreaking of signals in the kernel would definitely help libthr.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm@identd.net | D228 1A6F C64E 120A A1C9  A3AA DAE1 E2AF DBCC 68B9