Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:28:51 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting sysctl variables at boot time

kory@avatar.com said:
> That worked for the vfs.vmiodirenable, which can be enabled at
> anytime. However, for the "hw.ata.wc", I get an error for sysctl
> saying that it is read-only. According to the FBSD Handbook, it must
> be turned on before filesystems are mounted. The file /etc/sysctl.conf
> is executed right before you go into multiuser mode, which I think it
> too late and that probably why I'm getting that error.

> There are some kernel variables that are being set (although they are
> commented out) in /boot/defaults/loader.conf. I added my stuff in
> there, but like I said, it seems to be ignored.

I put the following in /boot/loader.conf.local (which is basically just
an extension for /boot/loader.conf):

	hw.ata.wc="1"

and rebooted, and now I have:

	freddo# sysctl hw.ata.wc
	hw.ata.wc: 1

So if it doesn't work for you, I'm not sure what to suggest...  After
that, you get into a long string of /boot/loader.rc, /boot/loader.4th,
... and my Forth programming ability is pretty much non-existent.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319