Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:58:45 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@rdrop.com>
To:        Pierre Chiu <pccb@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP with firewall rules

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 12:30:08PM -0500, Pierre Chiu wrote:
> In FreeBSD 4.0, ipfw supports stateful inspection.
>
> I think this is very useful for running ftp server and would works for both
> active and passive setup.

As I read the man page, that doesn't mean what it sounds like you think
it means.  To do active mode ftp properly, ipfw would need to parse the
contents of the packets on the ftp control channel and dynamically allow
the corresponding incoming connection.  There's no indication that this
parsing capability is present.

On the other hand, it's not clear just what keep-state/check-state do
either; what is the difference between the example:

    ipfw add check-state
    ipfw add deny tcp from any to any established
    ipfw add allow tcp from my-net to any setup keep-state

and

    ipfw add allow tcp from any to my-net established
    ipfw add allow tcp from my-net to any

Both only allow outgoing connections.  I suppose in the latter case,
it would be possible to send in packets that pretend to be "established"
but I'm not sure what that would get a hacker...

--
Alan Batie                   ______    www.rdrop.com/users/batie     Me
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0