Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 99 09:10:57 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        Alexandre Oliva <oliva@dcc.unicamp.br>
Cc:        John Hennessy <johnh@paradox.net.au>, "amanda-users@amanda.org" <amanda-users@amanda.org>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Amrecover error message deciphered.

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> > 8:09 mail: {101} mt -f /dev/nrst0 rewind
> > Jan 20 08:09:27 mail /kernel: st0(ahc0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> > Invalid command operation code
>
> there's something very broken in your software or hardware.  It should
produce
> a message like this.

Well maybe somone out there can help me solve this tape problem. At this
point I don't know if all the dumps I have made are fine like Amanda
reported. Also I did recover some files last time testing the backups, why
is not working now?

The point is I'm using an HP Colorado T4000s tape drive, and each time I try
to use it, for rewinding or whatever it prints on the screen this messages:

Jan 20 08:09:27 mail /kernel: st0(ahc0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
Invalid command operation code

I need to translate that message to human understandable language.

Can someone point me to a place where I can find answers on this problem or
should I replace the tape drive, drivers, tapes, etc.?

> Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
> oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org} Universidade
Estadual
> de Campinas, SP, Brasil