Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:54:24 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Allow user install

Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net> writes:
> The patch below is a step towards supporting unprivileged buildworld
> etc.  Eg.

Wow, this is really cool - and long overdue.

I've been thinking for a while that some bor^H^H^Henterprising soul
should hack install(1) so that if a specific environment variable is
set, it writes the file to a tarball instead of writing it to disk.
Unfortunately, there would still be a ton of ${LN} etc. that would need
to be handled somehow.  Perhaps install(1) should have an option to
create symlinks so we could use that instead of ln -s, in the interest
of reducing the number of different tools used during installation.

(BTW, I find INSTALL_OWN confusing - how about UNPRIVILEGED_INSTALL or
USER_INSTALL?)

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no