Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 23:16:15 -0400
From:      "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <lapinski@crd.ge.com>
To:        "'Patrick Kelso'" <lujan@zgeek.com>, Denny Reiter <denny@reiters.org>
Cc:        Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Server out of space -- Need suggestions

I blame that on the software not being smart enough,
I think no one should ever have to configure their
mail client with all kinds of info about servers,
The software should figure it out on its own.

But I don't want to get started on software =)

Michael Lapinski
Computer Scientist
GE Corporate Research & Development

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
            - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943

The single point of failure is the l4 switch though. (and it did fail once. We had a spare
identically configured so even a helpdesk phonemonkey could swap it in. downtime, less than 5
minutes.)

Secondary MX should be on a seperate network and subnet. Often upstream providers can help with that,
or look at a deal with another small ISP who uses a different upstream provider to swap secondary MX
servers.

And to whoever said a well run helpdesk and support site can teach customers how to configure their
mail clients for multiple servers, I qoute Douglas Adams;

"People who design things to be completely foolproof, often underestimate the ingenuity of a complete
fool"

Spend six months on a helpdesk teaching home internet users to configure netscape mail or outlook
express to check even one account, and maintain your sanity. I dare you :)

Cheers,
Patrick Kelso