Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:50:15 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

On Dec 12, 1997 at 10:34:13AM -0800, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> Other people apparantly had concerns abotu it as well, although they didn't
> say anything until now.
>
> I *am* unhappy with the fact that you (phk) decided to simply ignore the
> message.  And I still believe that, unless you have some compelling reasons
> for it (and nothing you've stated *yet* is a compelling reason), that the
> changes should be backed out.
>
> This is similar to Terry's proposed filesystem chagnes -- they are, for the
> most part, nice and useful -- but without any other code to use them, they
> are largely gratuitious, invasive, and needless.  Only Terry can't check his
> code in directly. :)

My take on this is that if something is nice, useful, and opens up new
horizons, then it probably should be included, as long as it actually
goes somewhere, eventually.  This goes for both Terry's and phk's changes,
as well as the DEVFS stuff.

I assumed (correctly, it turns out) that the reason for the changes was
to avoid the overhead of the stack push.  I also assume that phk has done
some benchmarks on the code in order to prove to his own satisfaction
that the code runs faster; I'll take this on faith, although it would be
nice to see the numbers.

My gripe is that there wasn't any warning, and it broke some of the other
things that I have (that aren't in the tree).  It would have been nice to
have a heads up, and at least an explanation of why the change was being
made (if for nothing else than to reassure people that there _is_ a coherent
design goal for FBSD).  There _is_ a design goal, right?  :-)
--
Jonathan