Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 13:24:53 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open PR

On Sun, 8 May 2011 12:30:46 -0400
Sahil Tandon <sahil@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 09:24:49 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that there appears to be an old PR,
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/132515 that is still
> > open. Has a resolution to this PR ever been resolved?
>
> I just noted in the audit-trail that I cannot reproduce the problem
> mentioned in the PR.  Are you (or anyone else) able to reproduce the
> faulty behavior?

I still use ntpdate myself, but according to Matthew Seaman, since the
default ntp.conf now uses the iburst option, ntpd syncs so fast that
the use of ntpdate is pretty much redundant.

The problem with the patch is that without iburst a separate blocking
ntpd instance is too slow to replace ntpdate. With iburst there will be
two initial bursts in rapid succession, which could be considered
abusive.

Personally  I've always regarded ntpd_sync_on_start as a non-blocking
alternative to ntpdate rather than a drop in replacement, in which case
this PR is more a feature request than a bug. Simply replacing the
non-blocking option with an inferior version of ntpdate would be a bad
idea IMO.