Date:      1 May 1999 17:30:06 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: US Robotics Courier-I questions

Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl> wrote:

> I'm setting up a firewall with an internal US
> Robotics Courier-I.

> 1) Next to my FreeBSD box is a Windows NT box.
> It uses the exact same modem, with US Robotics
> supplied drivers. Downloading on the NT
> machine reaches speeds of just over 7.5k/s,
> while I can't get the FreeBSD box over 4.5k/s.
> That hurts my pride :-} What am I missing?

Difficult to tell. The I-modem just looks like a serial port. There is
nothing special the MS-Windows NT drivers could be doing.

> The docs say the internal board always runs 230k4,
> regardless of selected line speed.

Actually, it doesn't run at any serial speed since there is no serial
interface at all. It interfaces directly to the ISA bus and provides a
register set that only looks like a UART.

> 2) There is another block of 2x3
> jumpers near the center of the board, slightly
> closer to the external connectors. The docs
> don't mention them. Does anyone know what
> they're for?

Setting the value of the on-board termination resistors. For a typical
S0 bus configuration, device termination should be OFF (infinite
impedance, sometimes idiotically mislabeled as 0 ohms), i.e. the jumpers
should be off.

> 3) How do I set up this modem to do 128kb
> connections?

It's not a modem, it's a terminal adapter. I'm under the impression that
the configuration for multi-link PPP is described in the manual.
Otherwise it can be gleaned from the online help. I'd have to look it up
as well, and you can really do that yourself. Other channel bundling
schemes besides multi-link PPP are not supported.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    100+ SF Book Reviews: <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/reviews/>;