Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:06:27 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Samuel Greear <dragonk@evilcode.net>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent changes to libdialog are weird

Samuel Greear wrote:

> The new changes suck, they've been annoying the hell out of me.
> The first time I installed, as a Windows user,  I found that everything
> worked as I expected.  At one point you just jumped into the menu,
> ran through it selecting things, and hit enter.  It was cheeze, I liked
> it.  It seems FUBAR now.

You were definatly in the minority with this one.  The first time I
ran the installer I kept hitting enter to select the items (I'd used
enter for everything else, so I didn't see why it would change), which
jumped me to some other screen with no obvious way to return.

In fact this changing between spacebar and enter was the number one
complaint I heard from my friends who tried out FreeBSD (at least
during the install stage).  It's just unnatural to people used to
mouse environments, it's like making people right click on checkboxes
to select them and immediatly jumping to some other dialog if they
left click on the checkbox.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer