Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:22:20 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        mcclain@looneys.net
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance of Java/FreeBSD

> for reasons that escape me, freebsd seems to be rather apathetic about
> the advancement of java on its platform, which is unfortunate.

It's not that at all.  It's simply a matter of resources.  Java porting
is time-consuming and tracking down JVM bugs is difficult, and requires
quite a lot of varied knowledge.

> my theory is that java's closed nature isn't appealing to potential
> cleanroom vm developers.

There are no successful JVM that have not been developed by large
(billion) dollar companies.  It simply cost too much to develop a JVM.
Also, in order to use the name 'Java', a company must spend millions of
dollars from Sun, making it completely prohibitive to all but the most
dedicated companies.

> hopefully some day that will change, but as far as I can tell, there
> are no java champions high up the ladder of freebsd power (so to
> speak).  please correct me if i'm wrong.

There are no 'ladders' in FreeBSD.  Seriously!  Things get done because
people have the abiilty to do something, and take the time to do them.
As of late, there have been lots of legal tangles that have really
slowed things down, but hopefully that's mostly passed.

Nate