Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 18:31:43 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, thiel@genevaonline.com
Subject:   Re: Making a new kernel

At 09:28 AM 6/12/98 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:

>>So is making your own custom kernel a wise thing to do being a newbie?
>
>Much depends on the respects in which you're a "newbie".
>
>If you're a newbie to computing, I'd suggest restraint.
>
>If you're a newbie to *BSD-flavored or -inspired OSs, I also suggest
>restraint.

I wouldn't.  You can learn a lot about FreeBSD from building a custom
kernel, and it's easy to revert back to the old kernel if necessary (read
the handbook - FreeBSD makes it almost failsafe if you screw up).  Just
READ UP ON IT FIRST and examine the LINT file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf to
see what everything does before changing anything.  Make sure to follow
instructions to the letter in the handbook, including copying GENERIC to
MYKERNEL.  DO NOT MODIFY THE GENERIC KERNEL FILE INCLUDED DIRECTLY.  Other
than that, I'd recommend trying it... multiple times if you want (and have
the time to wait for the damn thing to finish).  I built my first working
kernel yesterday and it was *SLOW* for some reason.... if I can't get a
fast kernel built I'll just use the generic one.

>If you're familiar with computers in general, and also familiar with
>*BSD, and have re-built kernels for *BSD systems before, it's not a
>whole lot different for FreeBSD, and so I'd suggest reading the docs &
>trying it out -- just don't do the "make install" unless & until you
>know how to back it out.

Backing it out:  If your new kernel won't boot, at the Boot: prompt when
FreeBSD first starts, type "kernel.GENERIC" or "kernel.old" (without the
quotes) and press enter.  Presto, you've backed out.  Then try again, or
follow the instructions in the handbook on how to copy kernel.GENERIC back
to kernel.