Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:30:48 +0100
From:      Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <soren.schmidt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pinebook Pro instability problem and fix.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 21:10:55 +0100
S=F8ren Schmidt <soren.schmidt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi gang!
>=20
> I have been wrestling my Pinebook Pro instability problem for some time.
> The problem was that if I just let it boot it would occasionally hang sil=
ently, just lock up totally unresponsive, if I changed the clock speed it w=
ould run stable.
> I finally figured out the problem and its actually quite simple.
> On boot we set all the regulators initially to their lowest possible volt=
age, this in my case is too low to make the little cpu?s run reliably.
> U-boot sets the lcpu voltage to 900mv and speed to 816Mhz, on boot we re-=
adjust the voltage to 750mv which is too low for my cpus to work reliably @=
 816Mhz.
> I?ve added support for the regulator-init-microvolt setting and set that =
to 900000mv as per spec in the DTS, and that solves the issue.
> Now running all 6 cores with changeable frequencies and no problems what =
so ever.

 Yes this problem was introduced by me and it's one of the problem for
booting rock64 right now (the other being i2c).
 Both are fixed and I need to upstream them.
 The problem with regulator-init-microvolt is that it's not always
present so for now I just don't init the regulator if it's already
enabled.

> Patches on request if needed?

 Put them on phab, I'll have a look